Congratulations to the Y8 Football team who beat Risca 8 – 0 in the quarter finals of the Gwent Cup. It was a great team performance with goals from Joe Baston 4, Luc Noble, Josh Williams, Callum Morgan abd Dylan Williams.
There will not be a session in Pill next week. This is due to year 11 parents’ evening. Pill sessions will resume as usual the following week.
Congratulations to Rebecca Skinner of Year 8 who represented Wales in the British Trampolining Championships held in Cambridge. Rebecca finished 9th overall in her age group which is an excellent achievement. Well done Rebecca!
Brooke Bashir and Nateaya Brown in Year 11 have not only been busily preparing for their GCSE exams this week, they’ve also been rehearsing for a new dance show which will be at the Riverfront soon.
Miss Howlett nominated the girls for Student of the Week as she was proud of their commitment to the show, dedication to their dance group and for how they have been promoting the show in the school and across the community.
The show is on at the Riverfront on Thursday 29th and Friday 30th January. See Brooke and Nateaya in 11RAE for tickets, which cost £6.
This week Year 11 can revise for the English Language Paper Two exam with Miss Bishop, Miss Hocken, Miss Rogers and Miss Sharpe. The lesson starts at 4.30pm on Wednesday 14th at Pill Old Library and lasts for an hour. We look forward to seeing you there. Any questions, see the English department.
During the Christmas holidays, the South Wales Argus featured Year 10 student Jymeela Lewis for her wonderful warm thoughts and actions.
Jymeela created stockings for those who attend the Olive Branch Day Centre on Stow Hill. She used money that was given to her by her grandmother to buy 30 pairs of socks and filled them with toiletries and sweets.
Well done Jymeela.
Duffryn High School is staging a production of:
in July 2015.
Auditions for the show are on Monday 19th January, Tuesday 20th January and Wednesday 21st January during lunchtimes in 237.
All students from Years 7 – 13 are welcome to audition.
Please prepare a song of your choice and be prepared to sing it with a karaoke backing track.
Sign up sheets are in 227 and 237.
We would like to invite parents and guardians of Year 11 students to our Parent and Teacher Evening on Wednesday 28th January 2015 from 4.00 pm to 7.00 pm in Building 3.
This will give you the opportunity to talk with individual subject staff who teach your child. The focus of such discussions will be the progress that your child has made this year and the ways in which the family and school can work together to ensure that progress continues at the highest level.
Appointments can now be booked online using the online Serco Parents Evening booking system. Simply follow the instructions below to reserve a time slot with your child’s subject teacher or contact the school by phone on (01633) 654100.
Book early online to get the appointment times you want;
- To book an appointment online go to https://parents-booking.co.uk/duffryn (please enter this link into the top address bar not your search engine bar or alternatively go to our school web site www.duffryn.net and click Parents)
- Simply enter your name and your child’s details to log in.
- If you wish to receive a confirmation email with appointment times enter your email address when you log in, you will also have the option to print a list of your appointments.
- Once you are logged in click on the link for Y11 Parents’ Evening.
- You will then see each subject and associated teacher for your child and can book appointments by clicking on the desired time.
- If there are any particular issues/concerns you wish to discuss you can add brief details at this point.
We look forward to welcoming you to this important event.